San Jose, CA
A senior systems administration position with a heavy focus on automation.
FireEye, Inc. - Milpitas, CA
A cybersecurity company with a renown background in malware detection.
Engineering Lead - October 2015, ongoing
- led/mentored team of 3 (at most, including myself) DevOps engineers
- taught team on topics like writing well defined Ansible roles, managing database/VM/storage clusters, deployment practices, etc
- wrote an internal tool in Rust to make it easier for my team to manage servers
Research Infrastructure Engineer - March 2015, ongoing
- provided infrastructure support for researchers in FireEye Labs (R&D) and planning/deployment of a few internal services used by malware researchers
- implemented processes for automating system lifecycle, using a template-based PXE provisioning server for baremetal and Ansible for continuous configuration management and software deployment; also built and integrated automated provisioning for FireEye's appliance OSes within this environment, removing the need for researchers to manually install and configure them theirselves.
- worked with several distributed systems, including but not limited to Ceph, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, and internal FireEye systems.
- deployed HA virtualized Proxmox environment within Labs, which my team hosts and maintains many services on, including GitHub Enterprise and NetBox
- managed inventory and hardware for a fleet of ~900-1000
- deployed and maintained monitoring environment centered around Prometheus
- wrote several ansible roles of good quality (subjective in a sense - but
check out the Github link), many of which are open sourced
Sleepy Giant Entertainment - Chicago, IL
A game infrastructure development company.
Systems Engineer - July 2013 to September 2014
- orchestrated servers with Chef and other automation utilities
- worked with several Amazon Web Services, including RDS, VPC, Beanstalk
- replaced part of SG's development cycle with Docker (Jenkins CI)
- wrote various scripts in Python, Ruby and Bash
- was responsible for the security audit after the Heartbleed PSA
HostGator.Com, LLC - Austin, TX
A shared web hosting company who also offers dedicated servers/VMs.
Systems Monitoring - December 2011 to July 2012
- monitored >4500 machines remotely (SoftLayer) using Zabbix/ZMonitor
- dealt with user abuse, compromised clients, broken configurations, and other resource usage issues
- handled network abuse/issues by either firewall or escalating to SL (UDP/SYN floods, Slowloris)
- sole assistant from the monitoring team during HG's architecture migration (32->64bit)
- wrote public announcements
on the network status forums
for extended downtime issues.
Systems Administrator - June 2011 to July 2012
- was primarily help desk support, handling website/database/application errors and issues, backups/restorations, triage, software upgrades and installations.
- Filed internal bug reports and wrote documentation for company wikis and knowledgebase.
- batee.com - redesigned website using Bootstrap; moved
editing process from disparate HTML files to Jekyll static site generation
- Simple Mona (2014-2015) - sole administrator of this pool for the Monacoin
cryptocurrency - development halted
- involved administrating a RabbitMQ cluster, developing in Python (Flask),
and querying in Postgres
- i18n support, added Japanese translation (by me and a couple native speakers)
- involved administrating a RabbitMQ cluster, developing in Python (Flask), and querying in Postgres
- Knights of Reason - primary contact for
technical issues, server owner/co-admin, forum moderator.
- The Bike Project of Urbana-Champaign
(Urbana, IL, 8/2010-2/2011) - bike mechanic and technologist, e.g. repurposed
old laptops with Debian for use at the shop.
Projects / One-Offs
- ZMonitor - cli dashboard for Zabbix
written in Ruby.
- Wagnaria - fansubbing organisation
tool written in Python and AngularJS
(copy of it in production).
- SIF Tracker - per-user leaderboard tracking
web application written in bottle.py/Flask, with some backend bits in Ruby
Familiarities / Preferences
distros: arch linux, centos, debian, coreos, ubuntu (16+)
lang: bash, python, rust, ruby, markdown, json
apps: nginx, postgresql, mysql, etherpad, chef
workflow: ansible, git, vim, i3wm, remmina, lxc, vagrant/virtualbox/qemu-kvm, bash (x2)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - 2010 -- 2011 - East Asian
Languages and Cultures
De Anza College - 2016 -- 2018 (expected) - Computer Science