San Jose, CA
A senior systems administration position with a heavy focus on automation.
FireEye, Inc. - Milpitas, CA
A cybersecurity company with a renown background in malware detection.
Research Infrastructure Engineer - March 2015, ongoing
- provided infrastructure support for FireEye Labs (R&D), which involved leading the upbringing of several internal projects to completion in collaboration with other teams.
- implemented various services and processes for automating Linux systems in the various stages of their lifecycle, mainly via ansible but including other not-yet-public automation software.
- worked with several distributed systems, including but not limited to Ceph, Cassandra, and internal FireEye systems.
- quite a bit more to be honest - to be filled/modified later.
Sleepy Giant Entertainment - Chicago, IL
A game infrastructure development company.
Systems Engineer - July 2013 to September 2014
- orchestrated servers with Chef and other automation utilities
- worked with several Amazon Web Services, including RDS, VPC, Beanstalk
- replaced part of SG's development cycle with Docker (Jenkins CI)
- wrote various scripts in Python, Ruby and Bash
- was responsible for the security audit after the Heartbleed PSA
HostGator.Com, LLC - Austin, TX
A shared web hosting company who also offers dedicated servers/VMs.
Systems Monitoring - December 2011 to July 2012
- monitored >4500 machines remotely (SoftLayer) using Zabbix/ZMonitor
- dealt with user abuse, compromised clients, broken configurations, and other resource usage issues
- handled network abuse/issues by either firewall or escalating to SL (UDP/SYN floods, Slowloris)
- sole assistant from the monitoring team during HG's architecture migration (32->64bit)
- wrote public announcements
on the network status forums
for extended downtime issues.
Systems Administrator - June 2011 to July 2012
- was primarily help desk support, handling website/database/application errors and issues, backups/restorations, triage, software upgrades and installations.
- Filed internal bug reports and wrote documentation for company wikis and knowledgebase.
- batee.com - site redesign using Bootstrap (by request); uses Jekyll for site generation
- Simple Mona - sole administrator of this pool
for the Monacoin cryptocurrency -
- involved administrating a RabbitMQ cluster, developing in Python (Flask),
and querying in Postgres
- i18n support, added Japanese translation (by me and a couple native speakers)
- involved administrating a RabbitMQ cluster, developing in Python (Flask), and querying in Postgres
- Knights of Reason - primary contact for
technical issues, server owner/co-admin, forum moderator.
- The Bike Project of Urbana-Champaign
(Urbana, IL, 8/2010-2/2011) - bike mechanic and technologist, e.g. repurposed
old laptops with Debian for use at the shop.
Projects / One-Offs
- ZMonitor - cli dashboard for Zabbix
written in Ruby.
- Wagnaria - fansubbing organisation
tool written in Python and Angularjs
(copy of it in production).
Familiarities / Preferences
distros: arch linux, centos, debian, coreos, ubuntu (16+)
lang: bash, python, ruby, markdown, json
apps: nginx, postgresql, mysql, etherpad, chef
workflow: ansible, git, vim, i3wm, remmina, vagrant, bash (x2)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - 2010 -- 2011 - East Asian Languages and Cultures